Growing up - from a shop to a small business. During the early post-war years, there was a boom in Turin; Fiat began making cars at the Lingotto factory and the Lavazza shop grew into a small company.
Luigi Lavazza SpA was founded in 1927, at Corso Giulio Cesare 65. The company comprised Luigi Lavazza, his wife Emilia and his children Maria, Mario and Giuseppe, known as Beppe. They formed the Luigi Lavazza company, with a capital of Lire 1.5 million. From these beginnings, the conquest of the province began with a fleet of vehicles and a sales network. We are very pleased to highlight the important roles played by two women, Emilia and Maria, among the five founding members.
It was during these years that Lavazza created Pergamin: a packaging consisting of two layers of paper to preserve coffee aroma. This enabled families to buy larger quantities of their coffee blend, and store it for several days at home. It was the first step towards the Lavazza packaging that we see in stores today.
The company name - Luigi Lavazza - appears in the booklet for the “Concorso del Leone” figurine collection (1937), alongside those of other companies involved in the initiative.